When HTC is not even interested to talk about getting Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for their flagship product HTC Sensation, released in 2011,-forget about android 4.2- the alternative left for users is to them is through the custom development community. Now you can savor the taste of Android 4.2.1 through the CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) released by bruce2728, the XDA team recognized developer. Android 4.2 contain lots many well known features like lockscreen widgets, Swype-like typing in the keyboard, Photo sphere feature that lets you take 360 degree panoramic photos, enhanced notification, Daydream screen saver and many more. The CM 10.1 no doubt will balance all these with its customized features and allow the users to enjoy Android in its pristine form, without the hindrance of bloatware or manufacturers skin.
However the Sensation compatible CM 10.1 is at the initial stage of testing, and experience a few hiccups. Below here you will find a list of things that are not working:
There are possibilities of issues and bugs tagged to the ROM, but things will improve in the near future as development work is already on full swing. Installation process can be executed with the help of the guide below if wish to try CM 10.1 for Android 4.2. But one should remember that if you are looking at a daily driver then this ROM many be the one. For now let us try the ROM’s installation for the HTC Sensation.
Disclaimer: You are hereby, warned that the process discussed below consists of lots of risk and you should avoid attempting it unless you know completely about it. If any damage occurs to your device as a result of not following the instructions given, we can’t be held responsible for that. Still if you face any issues in the process, we will try our best to help you with that.
Compatibility The below given guide is only for HTC Sensation and is not applicable for other devices.
Pre-requisites to follow to Install CM10.1 on HTC Sensation-
- It is always wise to take a manual backup of all your sensitive data, so that in case of any mishap, your data can be restored by following a few simple steps.
- Following these steps would void your device’s warranty, so proceed further with the steps at your risk only.
- Ensure that USB debugging is switched on. You can do that on Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- Ensure that your device’s Battery level is more than 50% to be on the safer side, so that your device doesn’t turn off during the process.
- Switch off all antivirus applications in your PC as they might interrupt the firmware update. Download the Latest version of your drivers and install them on your PC.
How to Install CM10.1 on HTC Sensation-
- The steps given below will wipe away all the apps, settings and data but it doesn’t have anything to do with your SD card, so there is nothing to worry about.You should get back-up for all the applications and essential data because they can be lost during this procedure.
- [Important] Your HTC Sensation must have S-Off and its bootloader must be unlocked. If not, then unlock the bootloader of your HTC Sensation through the official method → here. Ensure that CWM recovery is installed on your device. If not, then you can install it on your device with the help of this guide → here.
- After that download the latest build of CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM for HTC Sensation from XDA FORUM which is the official development page of this ROM.
- Along with the ROM, you also will have to Download the ‘Google Apps’ Package from the link given above i.e. from the XDA forum. It is essential to install this Google Apps Package because installing it will allow you to enjoy all Google services.
- Once you have downloaded the above two files, copy both of the files into your phone’s micro SD card without extracting.
- Turn off your phone so that we can boot it into CWM recovery mode by powering it on by holding Volume Down + Power button together. This will enter you into HBOOT mode. In HBOOT mode, use volume down button to highlight the Recovery Option and then Power button to activate it.
- In recovery mode, navigate in menus using volume buttons and use the home button to confirm or select any option.
- Look for wipe data/factory reset and select this option and choose yes on the next screen with the help of home key. This option will wipe all the apps and settings from the phone memory although it won’t affect the SD card.
- Now look for “install zip from SD card” and select it, and then select “choose zip from SD card” and then browse for the ROM file, select it and confirm installation on the next screen.
- After ROM installation finishes, again look for “install zip from SD card” and select it, and then select “choose zip from SD card” and now search for the Google Apps Package which we copied above and confirm the installation process in next step.
- After the Google Apps Package installation finishes, select the option ‘go back‘ followed by ‘reboot system now‘ which will restart your device into all new Android 4.2.
- If everything goes right, you’ll be booted into new CM 10.1 ROM. Please note that the first boot will take around 5-7 minutes, be patient.
- Note: The ROM is still under development stages and it is likely to receive regular updates as the development goes on, so ensure to take regular checks at the XDA forum for updated versions. To upgrade your phone to the newer versions whenever they’re available, you just need to download the updated versions, copy it to your phone and then flash it using recovery, without wiping any data. You need not install Google Apps Package again while updating your device to newer/updated versions of the ROM since they’re automatically saved and restored.
I hope the above tutorial helped you to install CyanogenMod 10.1 based Android 4.2 Custom ROM on your HTC Sensation . If you’re facing any problems, do let us know.