ASUS is always fast on the trigger when it has to come up with newer Android version updates for their tablets. This may not be the case for Android 4.2, since the Transformer is quite outdated, ASUS in all probability will be updating later than others, if there is such move. But the ever vigilant Android development team has already done and the result is that Eee Pad Transformer TF101 is imported with Android 4.2 now.
RaymanFX, the Senior Member of XDA is the person instrumental in the release of Android 4.2 ROM to Transformer, that contain all salient new features that a user can expect from Android 4.2, inclusive of advanced actionable notifications, keyboard for swipe-like typing, toggles for quick setting lodged in the status bar, tablet savvy multi-user support, Photo Sphere camera for clicking 360o dimensional pictures , and more features related to stability and performance enhancement.
This ROM which is still in the developing stages has a few flaws however, but it is normal like it is with all new comers. Below here is the list of flaws found in the ROM, but the source page that is linked below is the place where you will find regular updates on these.
The issues known till 26th November, 2012-
• Audio/Sound (New HAL might be needed)
• OMX (graphics acceleration)
• Theme Setting forces closure
Disclaimer: You are hereby, warned that the process discussed below consists of lots of risk and you should avoid attempting it unless you know completely about it. If any damage occurs to your device as a result of not following the instructions given, we can’t be held responsible for that. Still if you face any issues in the process, we will try our best to help you with that.
The below given guide is only for Asus Eee Pad Transformer, model number TF101 and is not applicable for other devices.
Pre-requisites to follow to Install Android 4.2 on ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-
- It is always wise to take a manual backup of all your sensitive data, so that in case of any mishap, your data can be restored by following a few simple steps.
- Following these steps would void your device’s warranty, so proceed further with the steps at your risk only.
- Ensure that USB debugging is switched on. You can do that on Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- Ensure that your device’s Battery level is more than 50% to be on the safer side, so that your device doesn’t turn off during the process.
- Switch off all antivirus applications in your PC as they might interrupt the firmware update. Download the Latest version of your drivers and install them on your PC.
How to Install Android 4.2 on ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101?
- The steps given below will wipe away all the apps, settings and data but it doesn’t have anything to do with your SD card, so there is nothing to worry about.You should get back-up for all the applications and essential data because they can be lost during this procedure.
- Before you begin, make sure that your device is rooted and Clock Work Mod recovery is installed on your device. If you haven’t accomplished this step yet, follow the rooting guide here.And finally for installing Clock word follow this guide here. Now from here, I’m assuming that you’ve rooted your phone an installed clockwork mod recovery into it.
- After that download the latest build of Android 4.2 for ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101 from here XDA FORUM which is the official development page of this ROM.
- Also download the addon package along with the ROM from the XDA forum since it is necessary else the ROM won’t work.
- Once you have downloaded the above two files, copy both of them into your phone’s micro SD card without extracting.
- Turn off your phone and then power it again by holding Volume Down and Power Button together and as soon as you see words scrolling at top left of your device, instantly press the Volume Up button within 5 seconds so as to restart your phone into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, navigate in menus using volume buttons and use the home button to confirm or select any option.
- You have to start an Android backup for the existing ROM in order to help you with restoring from the recovery stage, if something doesn’t go according to the expectations.
- In order to perform the back up, you have to select ‘backup and Restore’. On the next screen and select backup once again. Thereafter, you can switch back to main menu after the backup is finished.
- Look for wipe data/factory reset and select this option and choose yes on the next screen with the help of home key. This option will wipe all the apps and settings from the phone memory although it won’t affect the SD card.
- Now look for “install zip from SD card” and select it, and then select “choose zip from SD card”. Browse for the ROM file, select it and confirm installation on the next screen. After ROM installation finishes, again look for “install zip from SD card” and select it, and then select “choose zip from SD card” and now search for the addon Package which we copied above and confirm the installation process in next step.
- After the addon installation finishes, select the option ‘go back‘ followed by ‘reboot system now‘ which will restart your tablet into all new Android 4.2.
- If everything goes right, you’ll be booted into new Android 4.2 ROM. Please note that the first boot will take around 5-7 minutes, be patient.
I hope the above tutorial helped you to install Android 4.2 on ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101. If you’re facing any problems, do let us know.
Don't forget to check our latest Walmart Laptops reviews